What is the importance of security?
Investec Private Bank places the highest priority on the confidentiality and security of its clients and their financial transactions. As the internet is a potentially risky environment with the threat of trojans, viruses and phishing attacks we will always endeavour to ensure that your interaction with Online Services is as secure as possible.
We have invested significant resources to ensure that all online banking transactions concluded on the Investec Bank website are secure. This is done by using firewalls and encryption technology. Furthermore, we continually review our infrastructure and security measures to ensure that they are up to date and meet our stringent security requirements.
How can you avoid becoming a victim of online fraud?
1. Ensure your computer is safe
2. Do not respond to emails requesting personal or log-in information
3. Do not log into Online Banking via any emails with hyperlinks or shortcuts
4. Do not divulge your personal or log-in information (User ID, pass phrase and PIN) to anyone and change your PIN regularly
5. Ensure that no one has unauthorised access to your PC.
6. Review your “Sent items” folder for messages that may have been sent without your knowledge
7. Ensure that the Online Banking website address is accurate or enter the site exclusively through Investec.com (using the link on Investec.com)
8. Ensure that the browser at the top of the Online Banking site is green
9. Ensure that your pass phrase is correct before entering your PIN
10. Always log out using the log out button before closing the browser
11. Do not log into Online Banking on public networks or in internet cafes
12. Keep browsers up to date with the latest security patches
13. Install a personal firewall product which will help to protect your PC while you are online
How secure is the site?
We use the most advanced 128-bit encryption technology, which allows information to be transmitted between your web browser and the Online Banking servers, while preventing any third party from understanding the encrypted information. This encryption will not protect you from key logging software or "spyware".
We have deployed state-of-the-art software to protect our internal systems and your sensitive data.
Extended Validation – Secure Socket Layer (EV SSL)
A new security measure called EV SSL has been implemented on Online Banking to help protect you from phishing attacks and attempted internet banking fraud.
EV SSL certification works with high security web browsers (such as Internet Explorer 7) to identify whether a site legitimately belongs to a company (i.e. Investec Private Bank) or is a fraudulent site imitating ours.
The Extended Validation is only issued to companies that comply with the prescribed stringent validation standards. This makes it difficult for fraudsters to have the EV functionality on their sites.
How EV SSL Certification works
You need to have the most recent version of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, with the correct browser settings, to use this functionality. If you are using Internet Explorer 7 and the site is correctly linked to the EV SSL Certificate (i.e. is the genuine Investec Private Bank site):
The address bar will turn green: