Master Portfolio Service
A selection of portfolios to suit your client
Choose from six pre-defined portfolios for your clients, each reflecting a different investment objective and risk classification, and so offering a broad spectrum of choice.
Easy-to-understand investment options
Your clients can choose from six pre-defined master portfolio service options to suit their investment aims and attitudes to risk. Offering an easy-to-understand and often first step into investing, these model portfolios range from fixed interest, low-risk investments to equity market, high-risk choices.
Broad exposure to financial markets
Each of the six master portfolios contains a wide range of unit trusts, investment trusts and open-ended investment companies (OEICs). They provide a broad exposure to the global financial markets across the main asset classes – equities, bonds, commercial property and other alternatives.
The six model portfolios
Our Master Portfolio Service is underpinned by a substantial research capacity that is unbiased in its selection of funds, making sure you find the right choice for your clients.
The defensive portfolioLow risk
- For clients looking to preserve capital, seeking only modest levels of risk
- Typically weighted towards government bonds, investment grade corporate bonds and cash
- Also uses equities, commercial property, hedge funds and other asset classes to lower risk/volatility
- Typically suited to investors with shorter timeframes (less than five years).
The cautious portfolioLow-medium risk
- For clients with a degree of emphasis on preserving capital, although this cannot wholly be guaranteed
- Investments are weighted towards government bonds, investment grade corporate bonds and cash to reduce levels of volatility
- Other asset classes are less prominent but are used where appropriate. This will include some equity market exposure.
The income portfolioMedium risk
- Made up of a diversified combination of investment vehicles and asset classes where bonds still tend to be prominent
- Equity funds are also widely used, as well as other alternatives, and commercial property.
The balanced portfolioMedium risk
- For clients seeking a combination of capital growth and income
- Contains a diversified mix of asset classes, including equities/bonds, property and alternatives on a domestic and international basis.
The growth portfolioMedium-high risk
- Investment focuses on both international and domestic markets
- Equities tend to be the most prominent asset class within this medium-high risk objective. The weighting is usually supported to a lesser degree by bonds, property and alternatives.
The high-growth portfolioHigh risk
- Favoured by ‘adventurous’ clients who can accept increased risk as they seek higher capital growth
- A portfolio likely to be dominated by equities
- Exposure to emerging market and smaller company funds and other niche areas may be included in the search for strong returns.