Our objectives are as follows:
- To facilitate an increase in the number of entrepreneurially-minded learners who matriculate, as well as those with a decent pass in English, mathematics and science and, who have an aspiration to proceed beyond matric
- To facilitate access to quality tertiary education, support and celebrate excellent performance thereafter
- To enable on-the-job training, exposure and experience for youth through learnership opportunities
- Support the development of young entrepreneurs in an effort to contribute towards job creation
- To preserve our communities through conservation education and ensuring a clean, resource-rich natural environment.
Our strategy in Southern Africa focuses on creating opportunities, through education and learnerships, that equip and enable young people within our communities to become active economic participants in society. We support and empower talented individuals within a defined continuum of interventions through school and university to the workplace. Through our many education and learnership initiatives within our communities we are contributing to SDG 4 (quality education).
of Southern Africa’s community spend was allocated to education and external learnerships
contributed 5.0% of the country’s national distinctions in mathematics and science
invested in the Umuzi Academy and Afrika Tikkun learnerships in 2018
Our education and learnership programmes
Our strategy in Southern Africa supports the growth of young entrepreneurs from school-going age to working entrepreneurs, in order to grow the South African economy and create employment opportunities. Through our various initiatives in entrepreneurship and job creation we are contributing to SDG 8 (decent work and economic growth).
entrepreneurs given global exposure through trips abroad
learners from disadvantaged communities participated in JASA
youth placed in jobs with 11 of our partners during the year
Our entrepreneurship and job creation programmes
Investec recognises that communities require a clean, resource-rich natural environment that supports the growth of business and the economy. Through our environmental initiatives, we are preserving our communities, supporting the economy of wildlife and contributing to SDG 11 (sustainable cities and communities). We also donate to several ad hoc philanthropic initiatives which would positively impact across all 17 SDGs.
children reached through our conservation programme (17,373 children reached since inception in 2013)
grade 4 students sponsored through the GWF Open Leaning Academy
rescued and cared for by our partners with our support since 2012
Our environmental programmes
Our philanthropic donations include our support of the Investec Soccer League, the Field Band Foundation, enke: Make Your Mark, and the Sounds of Celebration programme. Our ad hoc donations are to charities across all regions in South Africa in response to requests received. Donations in South Africa are between R5,000 and R20,000 in areas which fall both within and outside our focus areas. In the past year, we donated R3 million to philanthropic and ad hoc donations.