If you have any questions about this Policy, please see contact details at the end of this page. Investec may amend this Policy from time to time, so you should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are aware of any changes that have been made. If we make material changes to this Policy we will notify you by means of a prominent notice on the Website prior to the change becoming effective.
Information Investec Collects from YouPersonal information you volunteer or which we may infer
Any domain name information that we collect is not used to personally identify you but is instead aggregated to measure the number of visits, average time spent on the Website, pages viewed. We use this information to measure the use of our Website and to improve its contents. However, additional services may be available if we have certain information about you.
We may collect the following information:
- A list of the products and services you express an interest in when you use the Website;
- Your name and contact information, including email address and company details which you may submit to us when you interact with the Website; and
- Information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experiences with our products and contact preferences in order to provide you with further correspondence about our products and services.
If you do not provide the information we need, we may not be able to provide our services to you. Where you provide us with the personal information of third parties you should take steps to inform the third party that you need to disclose their details to us, identifying us. We will process their personal information in accordance with this Policy.
We may intercept and monitor your communications
To the extent permissible by law, Investec may implement systems designed to intercept and monitor your communications with Investec’s Associates. As part of this process of intercepting and monitoring these communications, we may record such communications for disclosure on the basis set out in this Policy.
Personal information we collect automatically
When you use the Website, Investec automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser or mobile platform, including your location, IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested. We treat this data as non-personal information, except where we are compelled to do otherwise by law or legal authority.
Investec only uses this data in aggregate form and we may provide this aggregate information to our partners about how our customers, collectively, use the Website, so that our partners may also understand how users make use of the Website.
We may link to other websites which are not within our control. Once you have left our Website, we are not responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the third party’s website in question.
What We Do With the InformationWe use your information to provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To provide you with services you have requested and notify you about important changes or developments to these services;
- To respond to your inquiries and/or complaints or process your requests in relation to your information;
- To follow up as part of our customer care procedures;
- To update our records about you;
- For internal record keeping;
- To contact you for market research purposes and/or administer offers to you;
- To improve our products and services;
- For fraud prevention and detection, and to comply with applicable laws and regulations;
- In relation to competitions and other promotions;
- To evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing and for research, training and statistical analysis with the aim of improving our services; and
- To make our Website easier for you to use and to provide you with access to certain parts of the Website.
Investec processes your personal information for the purposes outlined above where:
- The processing of your personal information is necessary to perform a contract or enter into a contract with you;
- The processing of your personal information is necessary for us to comply with legal and regulatory obligations; or
- The processing is necessary to support our legitimate interests in managing our business (or those of a third party) provided such interests are not overridden by your interests and rights.
Your Right to Object – Please note that you have a right to object to the processing of your personal information where that processing is carried out for our legitimate interests.
Where required by applicable law, where we send you direct marketing, we will obtain your consent for this, which you may withdraw at any time.
How Long do we Keep Your InformationWe are required to ensure that your personal information is accurate and maintained in a secure environment for a period of time no longer than necessary for the purposes for which we are processing your personal information. We generally keep personal information collected via the Website in accordance with the timeframes set out in any relevant legislation which applies to the personal information provided to us. However, in some cases we may need to keep personal information for longer (e.g., where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, regulatory, tax or accounting requirements, or dealing with complaints, legal challenges or prospective litigation).
Sharing Your InformationWe may disclose your personal information to the following third parties:
- Other companies in the Investec group of companies;
- Selected third parties to provide us with services, including companies that provide us with technical support and assistance in respect of the Website, companies that provide back-office services, companies that provide hosting services or, that track the Website’s activities and analytics, and companies engaged to market and distribute Investec products and/or services;
- Professional advisers, judicial, regulatory and law enforcement bodies; and
- a third party that acquires all or part of our assets or shares, or that succeeds us in carrying on all or a part of our business, whether by merger, acquisition, reorganisation or otherwise.
Accessing Your Personal InformationSouth Africa
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2 of 2000. Fees to obtain a copy or a description of personal information held about you are prescribed in terms of this Act. Confirmation of whether or not we hold personal information about you may be requested free of charge. If you would like to obtain a copy of your personal information held by Investec Limited, please review our Promotion of Access to Information Act Manual located at https://www.investec.com/en_za/legal/paia-promotion-of-access-to-information-act.html
United Kingdom and Ireland
You have a right in certain circumstances to: (i) request access to and rectification or erasure of your personal information; (ii) obtain restriction of processing or to object to processing of your personal information; and (iii) ask for a copy of your personal information to be provided to you, or a third party, in a digital format. If you wish to exercise any of your rights in this regard please contact us using the contact details set out below. You also have the right to lodge a complaint about the processing of your personal information with your local data protection authority.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2017 and Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 and any respective subordinate legislation. If you would like a copy of the information held on you by Investec Bank (Channel Islands) Limited, please write to our Data Protection Officer at Glategny Court, Glategny Esplanade, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 1WR or by email to [email protected] .
Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your machine as well as more general information about cookies.
Please be aware that restricting cookies may impact on the functionality of Investec websites.
If you wish to view your cookie code, just click on a cookie to open it. You'll see a short string of text and numbers. The numbers are your identification card, which can only be seen by the server that gave you the cookie.
For information on how to do this on the browser of your mobile phone you will need to refer to your handset manual.
Local shared objects (Flash Cookies)Investec uses the Adobe Flash Player to deliver services throughout our sites. To improve user experience, Local Shared Objects - or Flash Cookies as they are commonly known - are employed to provide features such as auto-resume and for saving your preferences. Flash Cookies are stored on a user's terminal much the same as cookies are, however it is not possible to manage them at browser level in the same way.
How to disable Flash Cookies
The Adobe website provides comprehensive information on how to delete or disable Flash cookies either for a specific domain like Investec.com or for all websites - see https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security for details. Please be aware that restricting the use of Flash Cookies may affect the features available to you for Flash based applications.
Please note that if you disable your Flash cookies for an Investec website you will be unable to play flash content.
Third Party CookiesCookies set by Third Parties
To support our website we sometimes embed photos and video content from websites such as YouTube and Flickr. As a result, when you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, YouTube or Flickr, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. Investec does not control the dissemination of these cookies. You should check the third party websites for more information about these.
Website sharing tools
Investec website has embedded 'share' buttons to enable users of the site to easily share articles with their friends through a number of popular social networks. These sites may set a cookie when you are also logged in to their service. Investec does not control the dissemination of these cookies and you should check the relevant third party website for more information about these.
Cookies set by Investec Suppliers
Investec uses a number of suppliers who also set cookies on Investec website on its behalf.
The following cookies may be set:Omniture
See http://www.omniture.com/en/privacy/2o7 for more information and details of how to opt out.
Omniture provides anonymised statistical information to Investec about users. They process IP addresses and information from other cookies used on Investec's online sites for users, so Investec knows how many page views it has, the number of users, what browsers users are using and in which country, city or region users are located. Omniture is also used to provide similar information for the version of Investec sites for Apple iPad and iPhone users.
Doubleclick 'Spotlight Tags' are used to measure the effectiveness of online marketing campaigns for Investec. This service gathers information regarding visits made by users which is used to decide on the success of adverts. For information on the cookie set by Doubleclick plus information on how to opt out please go to http://www.doubleclick.com/privacy/dart_adserving.aspx
Investec uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. Google Analytics sets a cookie in order to evaluate your use of the Investec websites and compile reports for us on activity on the website.
Google stores the information collected by the cookie on servers in the United States. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. By using the Investec websites, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
For more information on the cookie set by Google Analytics, including information on how to opt out please go to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacypolicy.html
Ad serving (non-targeted)
The Investec advertisements seen by users on other sites are served by a number of third party ad serving providers, including DoubleClick, Atlas (atdmt), Mediaplex (ValueClick) and MediaMind (Eyeblaster), amongst others. The cookies accompanying the ads allow them and their advertisers to monitor the effectiveness of the ads.
If you would like more information about the cookies used by the providers listed above, please see their privacy policies at:
Ad Serving (targeted) - AudienceScience Inc. (formerly Revenue Science, Inc.)
Data is sometimes shared with AudienceScience's sub-contractors in India who also contractually satisfy the EU's data protection requirements.
Surveys (Wufoo) – Infinity Box Inc
Contact UsIf you have any questions about our Policy or practices described in it, you should contact us as follows:
- Investec Limited South Africa: Information Officer, Group Compliance at 100 Grayston Drive, Sandown, Sandton, 2196, South Africa
- Investec Bank Plc, and all other jurisdictions: Data Protection Officer at 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7QP.
- Investec Asset Finance plc: Data Protection Officer at Reading International Business Park, Reading, RG2 6AA.
- Ireland: The Deposits team, Investec Bank plc (Irish Branch), The Harcourt Building, Harcourt Street, Dublin 2.
- Investec Wealth and Investment Limited: Data Protection Officer at 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9AB.
- Investec Limited South Africa: Information Officer, Group Compliance at 100 Grayston Drive, Sandown, Sandton, 2196, South Africa