If I have a POA, how do I share it with Investec Wealth & Investment (UK)?

Many POA documents are housed online by the relevant authority via a secure portal, allowing an attorney to give a third party like us a secure access code to verify key details. It's best to consult your national authority to understand the best way to share information with us. 

Once you're clear on the best way to share the POA with us, please contact your / the donor's Investec Wealth & Investment (UK) contact (this is likely to be an Investment Manager of Financial Planner), call or visit a local Investec Wealth & Investment (UK) office, or use the contact details at the bottom of this page

Attorneys will need to
confirm their identity with us as well. 

Identity requirements for attorneys

Under government legislation, we are required to verify the identity and address of all attorneys involved in a POA. This usually takes the form of a document that proves identity (such as a passport, a UK driving license) and a document that proves address (such as a utility bill, a credit card statement, a bank statement or a driving license), but please speak with us about the range of other documents we can accept. 

Some national regulators also require us to collect unique codes known as national client identifiers (NCIs) for all individuals associated with a financial transaction, including attorneys. If the attorney is a UK resident, it is their National Insurance Number. Other countries have other requirements, so please speak to us if the attorney is based in another country. 

What types of POA are there?

The types of Power of Attorney and the way these are issued differs by jurisdiction. More information is available in the table below. 

JurisdictionRelevant authorityType of POAFurther details
England & WalesOffice of the Public Guardian (OPG)Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)Two types of LPA:
  • A Health and Welfare LPA gives an attorney the power to make health and welfare decisions but not financial decisions.
  • A Property and Financial Affairs LPA gives an attorney the power to make decisions about money and property. 
  • An attorney cannot start making decisions on the donor’s behalf until the LPA is registered with the OPG. 
  • It can take up to 20 weeks to make or register an LPA. 
Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)An Enduring Power of Attorney is a document that appoints someone (the ‘Attorney’) to manage the property and financial affairs of another person (the ‘Donor’), but not their health and welfare. Since the introduction of LPAs, it is no longer possible to make a new EPA, but if it was made before 1 October 2007, and relates to property and financial affairs, it can still be registered with the OPG. 
Northern Ireland (NI)Office of Care and ProtectionEnduring Power of Attorney (EPA)Like in England and Wales, an Enduring Power of Attorney appoints an Attorney to manage the property and financial affairs of another person, but not their health and welfare. To become effective, an attorney must register an EPA with the High Court (Office of Care and Protection). Registration is not required until the point where the attorney believes the donor is no longer capable of managing their own affairs.
ScotlandOffice of the Public Guardian (Scotland) (OPGS)Continuing POA Gives an attorney the power to deal with money and/or property immediately after it's registered with the OPGS. If the POA is only to be used in the event of the donor’s incapacity, it must clearly state that the powers are not to be used until this happens.
Welfare POAGives an attorney the power to make decisions around health or personal welfare matters after it's registered with the OPGS.
Combined POAGives continuing and welfare powers to an attorney after it's registered with the OPGS. 
UK-wideN/AOrdinary POA
  • Differs to those above in that it's only valid while you still have mental capacity. If you lose mental capacity, the Ordinary POA is immediately revoked.
  • There is no standard format to follow, but particular wording must be used, so you may wish to contact your local Citizens Advice or get advice from a solicitor.

How do I set up a POA?

The best place to commence the process to make a Power of Attorney is by contacting your relevant Guardianship Office or reading the information on their website, listed below: 

How is the loss of mental capacity defined?

Mental capacity is the ability of someone to make a particular decision, such as one about their investments or finances. Someone's mental capacity is usually assessed by a suitably skilled medical practitioner. You will need to get the donor's agreement for the assessment. The Mental Capacity Act 2005 goes into more detail. 

Frequently asked questions

Here we've answered some common questions we get about Powers of Attorney. None of this is advice, so if you need that, we recommend speaking with a solicitor. 

If you have a question that we don't cover, please contact our team, but we'd also appreciate you telling us via our feedback form so we can improve. 

  • Can't my partner just make decisions on my behalf without the need for a Power of Attorney?

    Only where the donor retains mental capacity, and for this we require you to give authority to do so. If you lose mental capacity, even if you're married or in a civil partnership, your partner will still need to have a Power of Attorney / Lasting Power of Attorney to have the authority to make decisions about your finances.

  • What's the difference between an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) and a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)

    The Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) was in existence before 1 October 2007, but has been replaced with the Property and Financial Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA). 

  • What do the terms 'make' and 'register' mean in the context of a Power of Attorney?

    The authorities use the terms ‘make’ and ‘register’ to describe the process of enacting a Power of Attorney (POA).

    A POA arrangement may have been established but depending on the relevant authority in your jurisdiction, we might not be able to act on an attorney’s instructions without evidence that the POA document has been registered.

  • Do I have to use a solicitor to make a Power of Attorney?

    You often don't have to but employing the services of a solicitor could make life easier for you. While a solicitor may cost more than filling the forms yourself, professional advice could be worthwhile and it could avoid potential fees that authorities can charge for fixing any mistakes you make. 

    The Alzheimer's Society provides a digital assistance service to help people fill out the POA forms if they don't feel able to complete the forms. To sign up, call their support line on 0333 150 3456.

  • How long does a Power of Attorney take to make?

    It depends on the national authority, so we recommend speaking with them. For example, the Office of the Public Guardian advises that it can take up to 20 weeks to make a Lasting Power of Attorney if there are no mistakes in the application. 

    You can ensure that your POA application is processed as smoothly as possible by seeking professional advice or by reading the Office of the Public Guardian’s tips and guidance on avoiding common errors. 

  • Once the Power of Authority is in place / made / registered, how do I send it to Investec Wealth & Investment (UK)

    Different authorities have different ways of allowing you to share details of a Power of Attorney with third parties like us, so it's best to seek their guidance. Many Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA) are stored online, allowing you to share chosen details with the donor's contact at Investec Wealth & Investment (UK) via a secure access code.  

    Once you know how you wish to share the POA, please contact your donor's contact at Investment Wealth & Investment (UK). If you're unsure who that is, please call or visit one of our offices or contact us via the details below

  • The donor I was acting for has passed away - how do I notify Investec Wealth & Investment (UK)?

    At what will already be a difficult time, managing the financial affairs of someone who has died can be very challenging. To try and help, we have a webpage about notifying us of the death of a client, which contains information on how to take the next step. 

Contact us

If you don't have a contact at Investec Wealth & Investment for your account, please complete the form and we'll reach out to you.

PLEASE NOTE: This webpage and form is only for clients of Investec Wealth & Investment (UK), now part of Rathbones Group Plc. If your query relates to Investec Bank (including Online Savings, Private Banking, Business Banking and Investment Banking), please use the Bank's contact form

Investec Wealth & Investment (UK) Limited recognises and respects the privacy and data protection rights of individuals with regards to personal data.

We may use your personal data to provide you with services you request from us, or to manage your accounts, make decisions, detect and prevent fraud, fulfil any contractual relationship with you, undertake analysis and assessment, ensure that we comply with legal and regulatory requirements and/or for other purposes where in our legitimate interests. 

For more information on how we use personal data, please refer to our Privacy Notice.


Please complete all required fields before sending.

Thank you

A member of the team will be in touch shortly.

Sorry there seems to be a technical issue

We value your feedback

This page is a work in progress. What do you think? It’s part of some new dedicated help webpages designed to make it easier to find what you need. Is there anything you couldn’t find? Please use the feedback form below to let us know.

You selected "Yes"

Important information: Please do not leave any personal details here. If you have a specific query for which you'd like to receive a response, please visit our contact us page.


You selected "No"

Important information: Please do not leave any personal details here. If you have a specific query for which you'd like to receive a response, please visit our contact us page.



Please complete all required fields before sending.

Thank you very much

We appreciate your time and feedback

Sorry there seems to be a technical issue

Investec Wealth & Investment (UK) is a trading name of Investec Wealth & Investment Limited which is a subsidiary of Rathbones Group Plc. Investec Wealth & Investment Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered in England. Registered No. 2122340. Registered Office: 30 Gresham Street. London. EC2V 7QN.