We may disclose certain personal data as follows:
- to other affiliates in the Investec Group. Investec Group consists of Investec Bank plc (a company registered in the UK) and Investec Limited (a company registered in South Africa) and any of their direct or indirect subsidiaries and/or holding companies;
- to our professional advisors, receivers and administrators (where applicable), and service providers (including for example, information technology systems providers) who may help us provide products or services;
- to courts, governmental and non-governmental agencies, regulators and ombudsmen;
- law enforcement agencies;
- relevant tax authorities;
- to any relevant third party in the course of an acquisition, sale, transfer, reorganisation or merger of parts of our business or our assets;
- as required or permitted by law or regulation, where we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Investec Group, our clients, or others;
- where you have been introduced to us by an introducer (e.g. an independent financial adviser), unless you have told us not to, we will inform the introducer of the outcome of the enquiry including whether we have agreed to provide you with the relevant product or service;
- to credit reference agencies (CRAs). See CRA section below;
- to fraud prevention agencies (FPAs). See FPA section below.
You may also ask us for details of the CRAs and FPAs we have used for your searches. If there are any errors in the information we hold about you, please tell us so we can correct the information we hold about you.
Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs)
In order to process your application, we may perform credit checks (where applicable) and identity checks on you with one or more credit reference agencies (“CRAs”).
To do this, we will supply your personal information to CRAs and they will give us information about you. This will include information from your credit application and about your financial situation and financial history (where applicable). CRAs will supply to us both public (including the electoral register) and shared credit, financial situation and financial history information and fraud prevention information.
We will use this information to:
- verify the accuracy of the data you have provided to us;
- assist in the prevention of criminal activity, fraud and money laundering;
- manage your account(s)
- trace and recover debts
We may continue to exchange information about you with CRAs while you have a relationship with us.
When CRAs receive a search from us they will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other firms.
The identities of the CRAs, their role also as fraud prevention agencies, the data they hold, the ways in which they use and share personal information, data retention periods and your data protection rights with the CRAs are explained in more detail at each of the three CRAs websites – visiting any of these three links will take you to the Credit Reference Agency Information Notice (CRAIN document):
Fraud Prevention Agencies
FPAs use your personal data to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance or employment.
Further details of how your information will be used by us and these fraud prevention agencies, and your data protection rights, can be viewed at https://www.investec.com/en_gb/legal/UK/fraud-prevention-notice.html