Data Protection Notice
Corporate and Institutional Banking
Investec Bank plc ("we", "us", "our") is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal data. This notice aims to give you information on how your personal data (i.e. information which directly or indirectly identifies you) is processed by us.For the purposes of EU data protection laws, Investec Bank plc is the data controller. This means that we are primarily responsible for making determinations about how and why we process your personal data.
Collecting your personal dataWe may collect certain personal data with respect to you, including, without limitation:
- All personal data provided by you such as:
- Name and contact details
- Nationality and national identity number(s)
- Tax status, tax identification number (such as National Insurance Number)
- History of employment
- Director or officer roles and income
- Bank account details
- Information on income and personal wealth, and
- Information on investigations, litigation, court proceedings, civil liabilities or criminal convictions against you.
- Information on how and when you use our websites and links to them
- Where permitted, information received from credit reference agencies, fraud prevention agencies and from other public sources such as Companies House, and
- We may monitor and/or record your telephone calls and electronic transactions.
We will only collect and process your sensitive personal data (such as health data) with your explicit consent or where the processing is specifically authorised by a regulatory body or required by law.
- All personal data provided by you such as:
How we will use your personal dataWe will use your personal data for:
- The provision of products and/or services requested by you
- Managing your accounts
- Making credit decisions (where applicable)
- Detecting and preventing fraud and/or money laundering
- Statistical analysis and assessment, and
- Otherwise as is necessary to comply with applicable laws, regulations and/or codes of practice.
The provision of personal data by you may be necessary in order for us and other third parties ( to which personal data is disclosed) to provide you with the requested services, for the performance of any contractual relationship with you and for the other purposes as set out in this Notice where in our legitimate interests.
How we will disclose your personal dataWe may disclose certain personal data:
- To other affiliates in the Investec Group. Investec Group consists of Investec Bank plc (a company registered in the UK) and Investec Limited (a company registered in South Africa) and any of their direct or indirect subsidiaries and/or holding companies
- To our professional advisors, receivers and administrators (where applicable), and service providers (including, information technology systems providers)
- To your professional advisors and any other organisations party to a financing deal
- To courts, governmental and non-governmental regulators and ombudsmen;
- To law enforcement agencies
- To any third party, or their professional advisers, that acquires, or is interested in acquiring, all or part of our assets or shares, or that succeeds us in carrying on all or a part of its business, whether by merger, acquisition, reorganisation or otherwise
- As is required and/or permitted by law
- Where you have been introduced to us by an introducer (e.g. an independent financial adviser) we will inform the introducer of the outcome of the enquiry including whether we have agreed to provide you with the relevant product or service
- In order to process your application we will supply your personal information to credit reference agencies (CRAs) and they will give us information about you, such as about your financial history. We do this to assess creditworthiness and product suitability, check your identity, manage your account, trace and recover debts and prevent criminal activity.
We will also continue to exchange information about you with CRAs on an ongoing basis, including about your settled accounts and any debts not fully repaid on time. CRAs will share your information with other organisations. Your data will also be linked to the data of your spouse, any joint applicants or other financial associates.
The identity of the CRA Investec uses, and the way in which it uses and shares personal information, is explained in more detail at: www.equifax.co.uk/crain; and
- With fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance or employment. Further details of how your information will be used by us and these fraud prevention agencies, and your data protection rights, can be viewed at https://www.investec.com/en_gb/legal/UK/fraud-prevention-notice.html
Transfer of personal data outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”)We may transfer your personal data to recipients (including affiliates in the Investec Group) located in countries outside of the EEA, including in South Africa, which may not have data privacy laws equivalent to those in the EEA. In those instances, we will take all necessary steps to protect your personal data in accordance with applicable data privacy laws.
Your rightsUnder applicable EU data privacy laws, you may have a right to:
- Request access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data
- Obtain restriction of processing or to object to processing of your personal data, and
- Data portability (i.e. to request the transfer of personal data from one data controller to another in certain circumstances).
If you wish to exercise any of these rights you should contact the Data Protection Officer as described below. You also have the right to lodge a complaint about the processing of your personal data with your local data protection authority.
MarketingWe may contact you periodically to provide information regarding events, products, services and content that may be of interest to you and to invite you to participate in market research. If applicable law requires that we receive your consent before we send you certain types of marketing communications, we will only send you those types of communications after receiving your consent.
If you wish to stop receiving marketing or market research communications from us you can click on the unsubscribe link in the relevant marketing communication or contact the Data Protection Officer as described below.
Security and data retentionWe will take steps to protect your personal data against loss or theft, as well as from unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, use or modification, regardless of the format in which it is held. Subject at all times to applicable laws, we will retain your personal data for a period up to 7 years from the end of the relationship.
Changes to this Data Protection NoticeWe may revise and/or supplement our Data Protection Notice from time to time to reflect (including but not limited to), any changes in our business, law, markets and/or the introduction of any new technology.
Enquiries, requests or concernsAll enquiries, requests or concerns regarding this Notice or relating to the processing of your personal data, should be sent to the Data Protection Officer at Investec Bank plc, 30 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7QP or by email to [email protected].